An inventory of facial expressions used in Homestuck: a follow-up to my inventory of canon Homestuck outfits. This doesn’t include exiles or guardians, since they use totally different bodies/faces than the ones used by the kids and trolls, so that’d be a completely different set of rips. But I went through all 6241 pages of Homestuck, aiming to get as complete a compilation of faces possible. Hussie recycles faces a lot and sometimes mixes and matches mouths with eyes, so there may be the occasional expression that is not on here, because both the mouth and the eyes were already used in different variations of the same face. And if there’s the exact same face but with the character looking in a different direction, I didn’t bother getting it, because seriously, fuck that shit, it’s just moving the same facial features a few pixels, and my goal was to document all the various facial features/expressions used in the comic.
As with the outfits, I do plan to continue updating this inventory after the hiatus ends!
Edit 6/17: Updated with grimbark Jade and rogue Roxy faces!
I’ve yet to find a complete inventory of every outfit in Homestuck, and anything that comes close always includes fanmade outfits as well. So I took it upon myself to compile every sprite that has appeared in Homestuck thus far, and give them all blank heads for ease of editing. I hope you all find this as helpful as I do!
Yes! You can see the fullsize version of Dave’s apartment here! 8)
I also decided to upload the fullsize versions of the other houses, in case anyone would like to look at them as well — they’re all in a gallery right here!
can we shut up about there only being 12 blood colors now?
An even better reference and further evidence to support that there is indeed more than 12 blood colors! Yes, there are 12 castes, but there’s a wide variety of shades in each caste!
So I made this handy chart comparing the kid troll’s blood to their ancestors. All of the colors were eyedroppered directly from the comic.
I am showing this to anyone and everyone who tries to claim that there’s only 12 shades on the hemospectrum. Not even all the ancestors have the same exact color as their descendants!
For everyone’s needs. Because somehow there isn’t already one (that I know of) and that’s ridiculous.
This list is mainly focused on lower blood vocab as well, since in cases where high blood and low blood vocab differs, high blood vocab tends to be just straight English(ablution trap vs. bathtub).
If you see a word that you know that is missing, add it and a definition, if a solid definition is known. If it’s a more vague term that does not have a known canon meaning (for example: nook), then simply leave it as a term, and maybe give a context (Nook: Body part, perhaps sexual).
Also, please. Only canon vocab. Don’t add your own personal terms. Make sure what you add was actually in the comic, please.
Also, if you have a link to where it is used handy, by all means! Link to it so people can see it used in context.
So there you go! Circulate it, and when a good list gets going, I can post it to my livejournal so that there is a solid link that people can go to.
Because I know that I as a writer would love a list, and I imagine that others would too.
And go! Add what you don’t see on here! Add a category if you feel it’s needed! I just put up a few, but feel free to edit/etc.
- Think pan: The brain
- Bone bulge: A sexual organ of some sort
- Nook: Likely to be a sexual organ, but could be otherwise
- Chitinous windhole: Trachea/windpipe
- Protein chute: Esophagus
- Auricular sponge clots: Organ in the ear(?)
- Autoerogenous shame globe: Likely a sexual organ
- Respiteblock: Private room
- Hive: Home
- Ablution trap: Bathtub
- Recuperacoon: Troll equivalent to a bed; a container of a fluid called sopor slime, which helps with sleep.
- Sopor Slime: Helps calm trolls to sleep; should not be consumed
- Lusus/Lusi: Troll equivalent to guardians
- Imperial Drones: Guys who come to get troll genetic material
- Mother Grub: Mother of all trolls; combines all genetic material brought to her to create grubs
- Grubs: Baby trolls
This is an excellent idea! I’d like to add a few more:
- Cartilage nub: nose? (No idea. Thoughts?)
- Lobe stem: brain stem
- Phlegm lobe: no clue, but Karkat does mention his throbbing phlegm lobe once
- Seedflap: a sex organ of some sort
- Collapsing and expanding bladder based aquatic vascular system: heart (probably sea dweller-specific)
- Communal hive stem: apartment building
- Lawnring: yard
- Thermal hull: refrigerator
- Husktop: laptop
- Nutrition plateau: plate
- Whirling device: fan
- One wheel device: unicycle
- Three wheel device: tricycle
- Four wheel device: wheelchair
- Wiggler: young troll kids (presumably when they possess limbs, as opposed to a grub) (Note: a troll’s birthday is called a wriggling day, but they are called wigglers, not wrigglers!)
- Carpenter droids: robots that facilitate a hive’s building process
- Threshecutioners: one of the Empress’s lethal brigades and, indeed, one of the most lethal members in society. Weapon: sickles.
- Laughsassins: one of the Empress’s lethal brigades.
- Cavalreapers: one of the Empress’s lethal brigades. Weapon: lances. The Summoner rose up through the ranks of the Cavalreapers, assuming command of the army, which would lead a rebellion. Tavros one day hopes to be recruited as a Cavalreaper and practices his jousting just in case.
- Ruffiannihilators: one of the Empress’s lethal brigades. A STRONG and honorable class.
- Archeradicators: one of the most noble echelon the imperial forces have to offer, according to Equius. Weapon: bows and arrows.
- Subjugglators: exceptionally brutal enforcers of the hemospectrum in troll society to whom the Empress delegated oppression. One of the highest castes, as even bluebloods are beneath them. Gamzee is a descendant of one of the high subjugglators, the Grand Highblood.
- Legislacerators: prosecuting attornies who conduct investigations and seek to bring evil-doers to justice, which is brought about by executing them by hanging. Redglare was a legislacerator who was hung by her own noose, intended for Mindfang.
- Gamblignants: deadly marauders of ancient times with a passion for chance. They all died off because they took too many risks, however.
- FLARP: Fatal Live-Action Roleplaying, or extreme roleplaying
S’all I can think of at the moment, but I might have more to add later!
I just wanted to throw out a couple other terms I just remembered… Not much, but hey, they’re there if you need them!
- Sniffnodes: nostrils
- Matriorb: an egg that hatches a new Mother Grub, responsible for bearing trolls’ young. Kanaya extricated a matriorb from inside of her lusus, a virgin Mother Grub who relinquished her calling as a matriarch to raise Kanaya
- Schoolhive: schoolhouse
- Trollbraille: Braille, which Terezi says she has no use for, because she can smell and taste words
- Courtblock: Courtroom
- Grubloaf: food that is presumably similar to a regular loaf of bread, as it has been described as “fresh” and “leavened.”
- Grubtube: the troll equivalent of Youtube, according to Vriska
- Game Grub: a magazine that is the troll version of Game Bro
More updates to the list!
Troll homes and environment:
Twelve trolls, twelve blood colors, twelve players, one game.
I’ve been wanting to do this for some time, and I finally got around to it! I might do one for the kids’ session of Sburb as well… it was fun to do!
I just have so many feels for the three lowbloods and their relationships. Aradia’s death made my heart hurt because of all the guilt and self-loathing that Sollux had to deal with afterwards, when the mind honey wore off and he realized that he was the one who had killed Aradia, whom he was so close with, close enough that Vriska called him her boyfriend. And how much that had to have hurt Tavros, who lost his best friend and his FLARP partner, the other half of Team Charge.
I decided that I wanted to do something for my moirail OTP, Sollux<>Tavros, and it was always my thinking that they would bond over Aradia, both of them being so close to her. (And then there’s the million other reasons why, like the fact that they’re both nerds and into games, although one loves roleplaying and card games while the other is into video games, and Tavros is eternally optimistic while Sollux is incessantly pessimistic with bipolar mood swings that only Tavros could handle and why does nobody else ship them, this is such a rare pair and curse my love for the underdog ships— but we won’t go there.)
I know that at this point, Tavros would be in his four-wheel device, but there was no way in hell I’m attempting to do a wheelchair. So, I don’t know, think of this as a dream sequence where Sollux has this recurring nightmare, reliving Aradia’s death over and over again, and it’s only when Tavros shows up in his dream that he can make peace with it.
Or something. I don’t know, the more I look at this, the more I think it’s stupid. So I leave you with a giant ball of Sollux/Tavros/Aradia feels and incoherency.
I made a banner for Team Jade♥Feferi for the Homestuck Shipping Olympics Bonus Round 0! I’ve been wanting to do a Horrorcuties panel edit for a while now, and this was the perfect excuse. Jade and Feferi are just the cutest freaking characters ever, and I just love them so much. <3
Continuing the trend of “I must make panel edits for all of my favorite pairings,” I bring you a BroDad panel edit in the same spirit as my Rosemary and Davros ones. Because BroDad is simply excellent.
I was going to make this my promo piece for the HSO, but wow I am really fucking tired, so I’ll make another post tomorrow when I’m not so exhausted, extolling the virtues of this glorious ship and our teams. Maybe do one of those fancy powerpoint photosets and everything.
For now, I’m just going to be sleepy and lazy and watch AskBetaBro’s livestream, which you all should join because it’s gr8.